Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Time to go shopping...


Sooo exciting! Looks like this little project is soon to become a big reality! But before I go spending big bucks on too much material I thought it'd be a good idea to do some estimating. I used some scraps to go around the skirt a couple times, please forgive the odd color combinations here, then I unwrapped and measured how many meters of fabric I'd used. My estimate was a bit crazy - something like 25 meters! Whoa! Flash back to the 60 degree angles in the skirt! What I realized in the end is that it is just too difficult to get a good grasp of how much fabric you need until you have it in your hands.
Oooooooo love taffeta!
So here's what we came home with... about 28 meters of total fabric, which included rose colored taffeta, ivory taffeta, blush silk organza, ivory lace, ivory tulle and all the thread and cords needed for lacing the corset and hiking up the skirt.

This feels way better than the first day at school with all my freshly sharpened pencils! Yes I sharpened them ALL the night before and I can still remember that smell :)


Ahhhh.... at last the real work begins.
One of the most difficult parts of the initial construction was deciding how long to make the train.  I want elegant and romantic without being tacky.  Then my friend Y said to me "just let it flow, go with what you feel", and that was it... I let it flow...

No comments: