Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The bottom half...

Since we'll be getting married on NYE in NYC there's a good possibility that we'll want to go dancing. My thought is that I won't want to wear the big, frilly skirt all night long, but for sure I will want to wear the corset all night long! With this in mind, I've decided to construct the skirt as a separate piece.  Obviously there is no way I could use Illustrator to construct the skirt (well maybe) but then printing the  pieces would be a major problem.  So I just used the muslim to construct the skirt. Never having done this before it was ALOT of guess work.

For the initial waist line I used the mannequin and followed the bottom line of the corset.  Then I randomly choose an angle of 60 degrees for the flare, or basic shape of the skirt. I really didn't think at the time - wow! 60! that's sort of close to 90 right?! Duh!  That's ok.  Muslim's cheap!



Initial skirt with 60! degree angles all around
Well, the angle went from 60 to 30, then from 30 to 15, then I tapered down the side panels some more. After all was said and cut I ended up with about half as much material as when I started! That was really good news because now I was sure I had enough of my really pretty taffeta to construct the base - both the skirt and corset.

A little aside... the dressmaker's ruler that is very helpful to get the curves right for the waist, and hence the hemline, was incredibly expensive - 49 Euros!  I saw the same ruler at the wholesale market for just 14 Euros.  Is that kind of mark-up legal?!

But seriously... it is starting to look like a wedding dress, no? Or maybe I'm just being sappy and romantic :)


No comments: